Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rain Rush

7th September, '09

The whoosh of the rain,
slowing down,
to a pitter-patter;
A tap-dancer on an asbestos roof;

Rustling old notebook sheets,
torn, folded,
engineered into hasty creations;

Rubber chappals on wet, washed earth,
the crunchiness of wet mud,
laughter bubbling at the seams of my soul;

Sucking in the smell of freshly-soaked mud;
The skies have just unburdened themselves.
The whiff of their countless secrets.

Excitement floating through the air,
mingled with the rain and laughter;
Three fine visitors on a boring afternoon;

Sunlight streaming through peepholes in the rain,
specks of gold and grey and nothingness;

Boats bobbing on rain-water rivulets,
drawing imaginary boundaries of joy,
floating images of serenity on water.

11 comments:

  1. Amulya, I really enjoyed this - it conjured definite images up of childhood, and then played with my preconceptions of those images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, the sound of notebook pages... oh, that was my favorite because I know it so intimately.

    Serenity, Joy... Amulya, enjoyed this one immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the energy of this, especially in the middle stanzas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amulya,

    The second poem I've read about rain! Definite delights of childhood here and I love the line
    "The whiff of their countless secrets"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amulya: I read this and found a tangible picture of the rain...the mud...the sound of the drops on the roofs. My favourite lines:

    "laughter bubbling at the seams of my soul"

    and

    "The skies have just unburdened themselves."

    Thank you for sharing.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the litany of well imagined descriptions and the tone of reverie in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Damian- I'm glad you liked it... yes for me too childhood is a series of such moments and the emotions attached to each of them.

    @juliejordanscott- I'm so glad you liked it. The sounds and even the smells of paper... yes... yummy!!!

    @Gautami Tripathy- I know what you mean. Rain feelings may change superficially over time, but at the core they retain their sense of tranquility.I still love the rains like a little child :)

    @rhianonproblematising
    @Derrick
    @Raven's Wing
    @davidmoolten
    @Paul Oakley
    - Thank you.I have enjoyed writing this and bringing back these memories in this form, as much as you'll have enjoyed reading it. Thank you all for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Especially liked word phrases that were unexpected such as "Rubber chappals" and "asbestos roof."

    ReplyDelete